We've all been there. 1 drink turns into 4 or 5 and before you know it you find yourself squinting at the bright lights of last call. Maybe this sounds just a tad too familiar, especially after a fun-filled holiday weekend? However, don't worry! Here are 5 natural ways to beat a hangover and start your week off on the right foot.
1. Consume a solid breakfast: most people choose to fast or not eat after a hard weekend of too much food and drink. Ah! That's actually the worst thing you can do. The key is to jumpstart your metabolism with healthy fats and proteins as soon as possible. Opt for scrambled eggs, avocado and greens this morning. It will make all the difference in your energy levels and keep your cravings at bay.
2. Go to the Beach: honestly, I can't tell you there's scientific proof this will actually help heal your alcohol woes, but just trust me on this one. Get yourself together, head to the beach, go for a swim and just absorb some good ol' Vitamin D for a few hours. Read your book, take a walk, people watch for a few. You will feel like a new person when you leave.
3. Find a yoga class to join: thinking about doing a hardcore, strenuous workout after a binge is the last thing anyone wants to do. Yoga is a great way to gently get moving, break a sweat and work on your mobility. It's the perfect activity to set your week up for exercise success, not failure.
4. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate: just when you think you've had enough water, drink more. We all know that alcohol and icky food is dehydrating, so consuming a lot of water will be key to your turnaround time. Coconut, lemon infused, or even sprinkling high quality sea salt to your water will help you heal faster. Although I'm not a huge fan of "juicing" for meals, I do think utilizing this method in conjunction with whole foods is a great way to get your vitamins, minerals and electrolytes back to normal.
5. For the inevitable next party ahead: eat a solid meal before you start drinking (brown rice sushi is a great choice) and get a few waters in between cocktails. Avoid shots as best as you can and find a spot that allows for great music. This way you can shake what yo' Momma gave you, sweat and dance the night away. It helps!
What are some of your best healthy hangover cure secrets?